Like other homes in the downtown and surrounding areas, many residences have taken advantage of the sixteenth-century structures that in successive reconstructions have been incorporated into the walls and spaces of the old manors. ￼It was determined that this property was located in lands belonging to the Regina Angelorum Convent. This property remained a possession of the Catholic Church and outbuildings to the Haitian Invasion of 1822, when the Dominicans left the island. The property remained indefinite, and it was not until the Annexation to Spain (1865), when it was disposed to subdivide and take advantage of the abandoned structures of the Convent to establish homes for individuals. The house is linked in the last third of the nineteenth century to the master builder Martín Febrillet, considered by society then as an honest artisan whom lived until his death in the house opposite the renowned Casa del Tapao, known for creating legends and traditions, sited on Padre Billini and 19 de Marzo. In 1877, friar Roque Cocchia, a delegate and apostolic vicar, and the Presbyterian philanthropist and educator, Francisco Xavier Billini, were responsible for raising funds to pay for the restoration works to be done in the Cathedral of Santo Domingo. A good friend of Father Billini and one of the best builders in the city, Febrillet paved the Cathedral with marble, including the chapels and adornments, which he quoted at 600 pesos, which paid the purchased residence. ￼Febrillet built the cobblestone on calle de las Atarazanas, in 1887. Likewise, he worked efficiently on the sewer system merging this street with the calle de San Francisco, which went downstream by the San Diego slope. These works were also brilliantly performed by Febrillet.
The house where Febrillet lived, marble tiles are still preserved in white and gray colors, the same type as those used in the Cathedral and other churches restored by the master builder. As a result of the restoration and upgrading works, this residence has been turned into a splendid hotel facility, consisting of four bedroom suites, lounges and service quarters. It features a beautiful patio with comfortable seating areas and planters hosting towering palms and a striking mango tree, among other ornamental plants which provide a tropical feel complemented with delicate décor, in a lovely ambiance designed by Patricia Reid. ￼The unique setting forms part of the high-quality accommodation Casas del XVI, running on several residences of the Colonial City.