This small house is among the oldest of the Colonial City of Santo Domingo and is therefore, an example of the first residences built by Europeans in the West. A major character linked to the history of the house is the mariner Alonso Pérez Roldán, whom came to Hispaniola as captain of the Colima, one the seventeen vessels that arrived in 1493 with Admiral Christopher Columbus on his important second voyage of discovery to America. ￼ Roldán was one of the first Europeans to settle in these distant lands. Once settled, he occupied lands which he made productive through agriculture, and once they decided to found the town commanded by Governor Ovando in 1502, he received lands and built some of the first stone manors. He built four residences which he used to reside in and lease. ￼ The construction of these manors found that the adjacent corner was a landmark and was called de las Cuatro Calles. Today it is the intersection of the Las Mercedes and Isabel la Católica. This point remained a commercial and popular town area for centuries. ￼ The house was modified and rebuilt several times. It continues to stand because of its thick pisé walls and brick masonry. In recent years it became dilapidated, and required restoring, in order to recover its integrity and usefulness, to give a new use to this residence of notable importance in the historical beginnings of the American urbanization.