There are several ancient houses in the city of outstanding design and history, which can be considered architectural icons, as their merits have earned them technical recognition on behalf of specialized institutions, hence becoming a popular reference. The Peynado Residence is a modified colonial residence with overlapping facades and reinforced concrete ceilings, according to a 1910 draft. In some late nineteen-century photos, the original appearance of the old manor can be appreciated prior to project modifications. ￼Architect Andrés Gómez Pintado was responsible for redesigning the house to therein place the home and offices of Mr. Francisco J. Peynado. The project contemplated spacious halls on the first and second floor which communicate through an elegant concrete staircase and tiles imported from Spain. ￼The house has its facades onto calle Las Mercedes, 19 de Marzo and Luperón. It features balustrade doors, originally leaving access to the first floor through calle Luperón and to the second floor by Las Mercedes, though on this side there is access to the hall and the staircase that can integrate the entire property. ￼The doors on the second floor, located directly above the first floor, feature individual balconies with striking Art Nouveau-style iron railings. The result of the design and construction led for the property to receive recognition by the City Council as the most beautiful house in the city in 1910. ￼This house was designed by Architect Andrés Gómez Pintado, an interesting designer native of Cadiz, Spain whom worked for the public sector in the Ministry of Development and Public Works. In his tenure, he produced designs such as the mirador on the government house, facing the Columbus Park (today the House of Diego Herrera or Palace of Borgellá and the Youth Casino, then Casa de España, today head office to the College of Engineers, Architects and Surveyors (CODIA). He also made proposals for the Ozama Fortress and the construction of wooden bridges in the interior.
Mr. Francisco J. Peynado was an important Dominican lawyer and diplomat who served in the difficult moments of the second decade of the twentieth century, a period characterized by economic and political crises that led to the first American military occupation (1916-1924), after which, he was assigned alongside Charles Evans Hughes, to work on the Dominican Territory Evacuation Plan of the United States military occupation in 1924. ￼In some blueprints dated of 1950, the state of the house without modifications can be observed and a proposal to dedicate the first floor to commercial establishments, a project that never developed, reason why the residence still preserves its original design and presence in the urban scene. ￼Recently, the property has been registered in a list of notable buildings of the twentieth century, as is stated in the plaque placed on its facade. It is an acknowledgement by the DOCOMOMO (International Committee for Documentation of Buildings, Sites and Neighborhoods of the Modern Movement), grading it as the master sample of twentieth-century Dominican architecture.