This remarkable residence, located near the Dominican monastery and the ancient university, was inherited by Ana Matilde Vicini Perdomo, whom held it from 1900-1909, when it passed to Juan Bautista Vicini Perdomo. Soon after it is decided to build a new house on the site that would be the Vicini Marchena home. ￼Designing the residence was commissioned to Antonín Nechodoma, an architect whom visited the country from 1906 to 1912. Nechodoma had come from Jacksonville, Florida, to Puerto Rico, and from there to San Pedro de Macorís, in the eastern region, due to the boom in the sugar industry. In this town he worked in major constructions. ￼Nechodoma also participated in developing the port and designing public buildings such as the church of St. Peter the Apostle, the Post Office building, the Slaughterhouse and the Fire Department. The Vicini residence, located in a spacious plot that allows for gardens and other open areas, is a neoclassic-eclectic style building, built with reinforced concrete and galvanized sheets. Complementing its elegant rooms are the elegant architectural details, the beautiful staircases and colorful lights filtering through the beautiful Chicago School-style glass windows. Its marble and parquet floors stand out. ￼The works are carried out between 1911 and 1912, when there were blueprints. Its use would be the residence of Juan Bautista Vicini Perdomo, who was about to marry Consuelo De Marchena. ￼In the work, terracotta elements, which had a great development in the United States, especially in the contemporary buildings as were the New York City skyscrapers, were used. In the patio is a staircase that starts in the center and evolves to the right in order to access the south wing, with the colonnades to the middle area of the second floor. ￼Large planters with ornamental plants harness the natural light therein. Back and to the left are the bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen.
On the right side, there is the dining room, in an oval ending hall with a “bow window” featuring Chicago School-style stained glass windows. At the East end of the house, a few steps give access to the backyard. ￼On the second floor, the more private areas are located, featuring the master bedroom and two spacious halls with elegant four-point arches and polychrome stained-glass windows. Other small rooms served as private offices and bathrooms. A service staircase gives way to a mirador and the rooftop. Finally, the top of the double-height courtyard opens to the first floor and to the corner the main dining hall, with curved walls to the East, beautiful polychrome stained-glass windows to the West and delicate parquet floors. The area features a suspended ceiling and hanging from it are two bronze and opal glass chandeliers.
The whole interior area is paved with colorful mosaics. In the different rooms feature stained-glass windows and security grills. The colorful Chicago School-style stained glass windows, contrast with the white halls and indoor areas. These windows are an extraordinary display of Caribbean influence in the Arts and Crafts movements, highly publicized in North America in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The work features imported elements from several businesses from North America and Europe. The stained-glass windows were imported from Chicago, the terracotta elements came from New York, the marble and bronze verandas for the main staircase were brought in from Italy, the curvedshaped balcony for the main facade was purchased in Germany, and the parquet floors, from France, among many other details. Recently, the property received recognition from the DOCOMOMO. The plaque placed in its facade grades it as a master sample of twentieth century Dominican architecture.